Saturday, April 12, 2008

Two-Year Checkup

We had Kiddle's two-year checkup with the pediatrician this week. Here's the report:

Weight: 25.0
Height: 34.25
Head: 20.75

Which translates to "grapefruit on a toothpick." What a noggin he has! Poor skinny kid. The only reason he's finally wearing 12-18 month pants is that Gap and Crazy 8 now have them with an adjustable waist (at last!!). So at least he's not walking around in his highwaters anymore.

Unfortunately he might be heading down an allergies/asthma path. (Poor thing was born during the worst allergy season we've had in ages, so I hate to think how much he was exposed to so early on!) The doctor put him on Singulair to see if that helps his cough. We'll give it a try but I'm a bit hesitant because my nephew had some increased aggression side effects when he was on it. Hopefully it will help Kiddle.

The only other concern I have is his speech development. At this point he has about 25 words plus 15-20 animal sounds. However I don't think I'd recognize any of the words if he said them out of context. He also doesn't have any two syllable words except for "gir-ah" for giraffe. (Which, by the way, is the only animal he actually calls by its name and not its sound.) His doctor doesn't seem terribly concerned but she did give the number for EIP so I can get him checked out if I want. I try not to compare him to other kids but unfortunately the two he's around the most have amazing speech capabilities. I know he'll get it together eventually but I'd hate to see it cause him a lot of frustration in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment