People like this annoy the crap out of me. I posted a question on my local Mothers & More board asking about car seat placement for two kids in an SUV. Here's what I wrote:
Kid #2 is arriving shortly and I'm interested in opinions on which side of the car to put each seat on. With the one kid, I've always had him in the center or passenger side. I assumed I'd put the new baby on the passenger side and my 3yo behind me, but now I'm not so sure. The source of my waffling is my vehicle. When #1 was an infant/baby, I had a sedan; now I have an SUV. I probably won't be able to reach the new baby on the passenger side now anyway, so should I put him behind me, and leave the 3yo where he is? What's worked best for you, particularly if you drive an SUV?
At any point did I ask for what the "safety experts" say? Nope. I've got a computer, thanks. Did I ask people who don't have two kids to chime in? Um, no. So thanks Nosy Nellie for posting this gem:
The recommendation from safety experts is to put "least-protected child in most protected spot/most protected child in least protected spot." Any rear-facing child is more protected than a forward-facing child. And an outboard (next to the door) position is less protected of a spot than the center. Seems like in your case, the new baby in a rear-facing infant seat can go in to the 2nd row outboard seat behind you and your 3 year old can be in the 2nd row center. hth!
I'm sure this is the "safest" way to do it. And I'm sure there are people out there who actually install their car seats like this, but no one I know. And I'm more than sure that Kiddle poking the baby in the eye is going to be waaay more of a distraction and safety hazard than putting him in the seat behind me.
And I especially love the "hth" at the end. Happy to help, my ass!
Kid #2 is arriving shortly and I'm interested in opinions on which side of the car to put each seat on. With the one kid, I've always had him in the center or passenger side. I assumed I'd put the new baby on the passenger side and my 3yo behind me, but now I'm not so sure. The source of my waffling is my vehicle. When #1 was an infant/baby, I had a sedan; now I have an SUV. I probably won't be able to reach the new baby on the passenger side now anyway, so should I put him behind me, and leave the 3yo where he is? What's worked best for you, particularly if you drive an SUV?
At any point did I ask for what the "safety experts" say? Nope. I've got a computer, thanks. Did I ask people who don't have two kids to chime in? Um, no. So thanks Nosy Nellie for posting this gem:
The recommendation from safety experts is to put "least-protected child in most protected spot/most protected child in least protected spot." Any rear-facing child is more protected than a forward-facing child. And an outboard (next to the door) position is less protected of a spot than the center. Seems like in your case, the new baby in a rear-facing infant seat can go in to the 2nd row outboard seat behind you and your 3 year old can be in the 2nd row center. hth!
I'm sure this is the "safest" way to do it. And I'm sure there are people out there who actually install their car seats like this, but no one I know. And I'm more than sure that Kiddle poking the baby in the eye is going to be waaay more of a distraction and safety hazard than putting him in the seat behind me.
And I especially love the "hth" at the end. Happy to help, my ass!

No comments:
Post a Comment