Sunday, November 15, 2009

A night out? No!

I don't get out much anymore.

Boy, that's an understatement. Let's see ... since Bigga was born I've been out of the house — at night — sans children — once for a friend's art opening, once on an overnight "date" with my husband while we were in Oklahoma, and once for my book club. I think that's it. Seriously. Oh yeah, can't forget the Back to School Night PTA meeting. Woo hoo!

Last night's outing was a festive occasion: a wedding. I'll admit I was not looking forward to it. Not only was it an obligatory family affair (Mr. P's stepbrother). Not only was someone other than us going to have to put BOTH my children to bed. Not only was I going to have scrape myself together into some sort of decent-looking-ness. On top of all that, it was black tie. Ugh.

But — shockingly — it all came together quite well. I found a dress (on sale!) that I actually liked and felt pretty good in, without succumbing to tears in the dressing room. (I've finally accepted that I'm just not going to look like The Me I envision in my head anymore; the goal now is to find something that is between "inoffensive" and "somewhat flattering.") I wore the gorgeous river pearl necklace from my own wedding that's been languishing in a box for five years. Along with the backup shoes from my wedding that had never been worn (and before you get a horrible image in your head, no, they aren't white satin. They're beaded bronze and quite pretty.). And I even had a random evening clutch lying around that was just perfect.

The service and reception were both at a stately mansion on 5th Avenue right across from the Metropolitan Museum. It was simple and lovely. And not your typical Northeastern wedding, which of course means I loved it.

Despite all my pre-event dread, I had a good time. It was nice to get dressed up, have a couple of glasses of wine and catch up with my in-laws. And ... can't believe I'm going to say this ... I even felt pretty. Imagine that!

No comments:

Post a Comment